Pages

New directions/-/ White cheddar and apple oat muffins




I am still relatively new to blogging and editorial writing; like I mentioned before I have no skill when it comes to tell stories or navigating my way through the endless grammar rules of the English language. So this is a big thank you for putting up with my blog and all the mistakes. I sometimes miss them, sorry!



Sometimes I cannot believe how much blogging has impacted on the way I think about food. Confession time: I used to think blogging was all about boosting about the things you ate or could bake. The bigger the better, most outrageous and most complex stuff was the only food fit for internet; Boy was I wrong.

I discovered more than just some fancy cake techniques and photography styles (some which I hope to learn how to do), but discovered the way food connected people to their emotions, family and friends. From reading the family stories behind the recipes, to the emotions recipes evoke of those who have passed over and ones that remind us that classic is a “classic for a reason”. All food bloggers have generously opened their kitchen to the world; not because they think they are the best, but because they want to share the happiness and self-discoveries cooking brings to their lives.



It has introduced me to ingredients that I could never have imagine could go into baked goods and has made me more daring in kitchen. I love the food philosophies behind people’s food choices; to go vegan, sustainable, organic, gluten free etc. Been inspired by the transformations people go through because cooking and baking has had such a major impact on their lives. Some even adopting a totally new lifestyle and move to another location because of their love for the food. Real foodies those people.



While I am not about to migrate to the lush fields in Tasmania or the Margaret river; I try to do the best I can in terms of sustainable/free range produce and to make most things from scratch. Not only it is sometimes more economical but any freshly made is better than anything you can buy. Muffins are one of those things I will only eat out my kitchen because I find store bought or café muffins are overpriced lumps of dry cake. Also I had a bad experience once with an “impulse buy” muffin and almost choking on it because I swear something was growing on it.



These muffins are a celebration that apple season is coming! I am so excited! Fresh apple juice, apple cake, apple jam are all running through my mind right now. The combination of cheese and fruit is not new but I have only recently stop taking it for granted. Vintage white cheddar and Royal gala apple pieces stud this whole meal muffin, perfectly sweetened with finishing touch of yellow box honey. The intense flavour of vintage cheddar matches so well with the whole meal flour and oats, while the apples not only help sweeten the muffin but give it a lovely texture. I was inspired by numerous recipes which partner the savoury condiment with fruit

The internet is lovely place to discover recipes don't you think?



White cheddar and apple oat muffins

Make 15

Adapted From Good taste April 2013

140g plain flour

140g Whole meal flour

60g rolled oats

2.5 Teaspoons baking powder

1 teaspoon bicarb soda

0.5 teaspoons salt.

75g White vintage cheddar, coarsely grated

1 medium apple, coarsely grated

120g raw sugar

125ml rice bran oil

160ml milk

2 eggs

1 apple in thin halved slices

70g Honey for topping

Pre heat oven to 180 degrees c. Grease or line your muffin tray with liners.

Add the flours, oats, soda, baking powder, oat and salt in a large bowl. Whisk to combine.

In a large jug whisk eggs, milk, sugar, grated apple and oil. Whisk to combine.

Make a well in your flour mix and pour you wet mixture into the well. Add cheddar cheese. Stir or fold the mix until JUST combined. Spoon into your muffins trays

Bake in oven for 20 minutes or until a skewer comes clean. Transfer to cooling rack.

3 comments:

  1. YUM! THis looks wonderful, I would love some for breakfast right now! (:
    xxx
    http://andgeesaid.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They make the best breakfast right now since the weather is cooling down. I hope you try them

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete